Our dental practice provides TMJ disorder treatment in Emerson, NJ. The temporomandibular joint, or TMJ, is not one that we think about often, until it begins to cause problems. This small joint acts as a sliding hinge when you open and close your mouth, but its location near particularly sensitive tissue means that when it’s not functioning properly, it can be extremely painful. TMJ pain may even impact your overall quality of life.
When the TMJ is causing pain, it results in a condition called TMJ disorder (TMD).
Patients with TMD experience one of more of the following symptoms:
- Painful temporomandibular joints; this pain often radiates to the jaw and face
- Malocclusion, which may result in damage to the teeth
- Earaches and tinnitus
- Chronic tension headaches or migraines
- Increased pain when eating or yawning
- Clicking and popping sounds and sensations in the jaw when eating or opening the mouth
- A jaw that sometimes becomes “locked” in place in the open or closed position
- Swelling of the face, especially in the areas surrounding the joints
- Muscle tension that extends to the neck and shoulders
Patients from Paramus, Westwood, Oradell, River Edge, Hillsdale, Bergenfield and beyond come to our Emerson, NJ office to have their TMD diagnosed and treated. To assist us in diagnosis, we use an advanced cone beam scanner, which allows us to see precisely where the wear is on your teeth.
Using this information, along with the details you provide to us during your consultation, we design customized bruxer appliances that are fabricated in a dental laboratory. Unlike over-the-counter options, our splints and night guards are fitted to your mouth and jaw, making them comfortable to wear throughout the night.
Often, treating TMD is as easy as eliminating problematic behaviors like nighttime teeth grinding and jaw clenching. This reduces stress on the temporomandibular joints, which in turn reduces inflammation and pain.